Monday, August 20, 2012

O Fim

Well here it is. After the countless days you spend thinking that it will never end, it's here. It hasn't hit me yet. I should probably apologize for that because I have a sneaking suspicion that it will not hit me until I am delivering a homecoming talk. I apologize for the simple reason that you will all have to see me realize that. Nothing has meant more to me in my lifetime than the time that I have spent serving the Lord. Coming to the end I now can firmly testify with fire in my soul that my time could not have been better spent. I feel like this email needs to have a couple of purposes; to tie up loose ends, to be bold in testimony, and to "leave it all on the court".

Speaking of the past week and it's events seems somewhat unnecessary at the present time because I will be able to relate them in such a better mode of communication shortly.

Of far greater importance is what I wish to communicate; what I have learned while here. In every email since arriving in this now-sacred state of Iowa I have included a section entitled, "Things I Have Learned". I now include once again, "The Things I Have Learned", on a much grander scale.

First; I have learned and come to the understanding that Jesus is the Christ. I now know more than I have ever before, or could have ever known without this experience of a mission, that He lives. I know his gospel. I know of his selfless character. I have learned that nothing is superior to his atoning power. He is the great Jehovah of the Old Testament and the God of Israel. He is the God of Jacob, Abraham, and Moses. I know that He walked upon this earth not as a fictional character but that He really was here. I know that after his ascension to the our Father he came to the American continent and taught the gospel he taught in what we know as Palestine. I know that He lives today. I know his atonement is the only thing that can bring us closer to our Father in Heaven.

Second; I have learned that Joseph Smith is indeed the prophet of the restoration. I have felt the spirit confirm that to me over the numerous times I have shared his story with others. I know and testify that he was called of God as he said he was. This last week I sat in the temple which he saw in vision, even that of Nauvoo. I sat in the temple Joseph dreamed of, worked on, and was persecuted for. There is presence of the spirit in that great building greater than I have felt elsewhere. As I read the 124th section of the Doctrine and Covenants revealing that the temple should be built I knew and felt it was divine. The prophet Joseph's message was divine. He was divinely led to deliver it. I testify that he was a prophet of God.

Third; I have learned of the gospel. I have learned of it's simplicity. I have learned of it's divine origin. I know it to be true. I have learned that by following it's sacred pattern we can partake of the atonement so freely offered by The Master. The simple, yet precious steps, of faith, repentance, baptism, reception of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end constitute the doctrine of Christ. It is the way to salvation.

Fourth; I have come to learn more of the scriptures. I know that they are a blessing. I know that they are from our Heavenly Father and an expression of his unconditional love. They speak to the very soul of man and answer the questions we all have. They support each other. They are true.

Fifth; I have learned of the Priesthood and the calling of it's officers. How grateful I am for a mission president who magnifies his calling. He, and his wife supporting him, have been called by god through the powers of the Priesthood to lead and guide the missionaries in this section of The Lord's vineyard. I love them. I sustain them. I know that God calls all of us to be where we must to fulfill His grand plan.

Sixth; I have learned to love the people of Iowa. I have come to love this beautiful part of the world. That love is a gift from God that I have learned to accept. I have forever been touched and changed deeply by this sacred place and these heavenly people.

Seventh; I have learned to love every companion. I have learned to love unconditionally. I have learned to not judge others and poison the well of their character before I see them as Christ does. I appreciate what I have learned from them as well. There is a brotherhood in companionships that cannot be created or found in any other place. Bound by the Lord, serving Him, we can only be successful together. I have loved every companion with which I have served.

Eighth; I have learned to pray. I have learned how essential it is to our progress as well as our success. I have learned how to have a two way communication with God our Heavenly Father. I have learned through that medium of prayer more of his love and compassion for us. I have learned that the time we spend on our knees in communion with him is never wasted. I have learned that prayer motivates people to change things. 

Ninth; I have learned to serve and to love doing so. I have learned that by serving others we love them more deeply. We see them more as God himself sees them. I have learned that time spent serving others is not simply "spent" at all but rather invested and the returns are great.

Tenth; I have learned that Faith endures. I have learned that the power of faith is remarkable. I know that it is only our faith that will see us through the challenges and trials that will surely come to us. Faith is power. Faith in Jesus Christ can change things for our good. Faith can move mountains, both physical and metaphorical. I have learned that faith must always be maintained through righteous decisions. Our faith is only strong if we act in righteous congruency to our beliefs.

These are ten of the the major things that I have learned on my mission that I know will bless my life forever. There is a countless list of others but these are of most importance. My life has been and will forever be changed by my mission. I have tried very hard to make the following statement a motto for my mission:

"I am part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made--I am a disciple of His. I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure. I'm finished and done with low living, sight walking, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tame visions, worldly-talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals. I no longer need pre-eminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean in His presence, walk by patience, am uplifted by prayer and I labor with power. My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my Guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, hired away, turned back, diluted, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the enemy, pander at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I won't give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, give up till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me. And when He comes my banner will be clear! I must go 'til he comes. Give 'til I drop. Preach 'til all know. And work 'til he stops me and when he returns for his own he will have no problem recognizing me. My banner will be clear."

I have much work left to do but I know, because of my mission, I am on the right track.

I love you all so much! I can't thank you all enough for your endless support. I pray for you. Soon enough I will be with you again.

"And I make an end of my writing upon these plates, which writing has been small; and to the reader I bid farewell, hoping that many of my brethren may read my words. Brethren, adieu." (Jacob 7:27)

Hugs and Kisses,
For the last time,
Elder Excell

No comments:

Post a Comment