Monday, October 17, 2011

NOTICE TO HISPANIC AND/OR WOMEN FARMERS AND RANCHERS

I think I am going to title every email from here on out with a phrase from something posted on the board next to me. It makes for a good attention getter I think. And, I learned those attention grabbers are vital back in the 8th grade! Apparently if you fit into the specified category in the title and feel as if you have been jipped on some loans from the years 1981 to 2000 you could sue someone for millions. Oh ridiculous! Give me a break. But if you feel so inclined you may contact the USDA about this matter...now onto more important things!

This week was great and need I even say it anymore...ok I will...it flew. Never ceases to astound me.

Monday we had a great p-day and it was awesome to see Mr. Andy Newman. He’s a good kid. We went to a not so good Chinese buffet....I ‘ve felt sick up until last night. Not very pleasing while teaching lessons or sitting through church. But regardless, the company was nice and we had a good chance to catch up. It’s crazy to think where the time has gone. It has been more than 3 years since I was roommates in college with him. Man...I’m old. Life moves on tho. With or without you. We played some basketball. You would think my many hours of playing against myself in the driveway would pay off at some point, but alas, playing against a human is different and I stink.

Tuesday we had a decent day. We had quite a few people to go see but none were home and so we just moved on down the list. We ended up seeing and teaching a couple people but we wish we hadn't. Not that it would make a difference. Bonnie dropped us. Her exact words were "well I’m not quite sure why but I don't want to study with you boys anymore. I've been thinking of a reason all day and I just don’t have one." oh well.....it felt like getting broke up with for no reason. No closure just goodbyes. She’s a sweet lady tho. We’ll still stop by and rake her leaves and clean out her gutters when she needs.

Wednesday we had exchanges with the Oskaloosa Elders in Knoxville. It was a great time. I got to work with Elder Lewis...the one that looks like Dilbert. We had a good day. We walked about 1.5 miles in the pouring rain and just were drenched head to toe. As soon as we got into someone's house it quit and as soon as we went back outside it poured. Just our luck. We laughed our way through it tho. We had to break into our own house afterward to get dry clothes and supplies so that made for quite a sight I’m sure. It’d be a lot easier if we didn't live on the second floor. =/

I played travel agent for someone this week. She’s a member and she needed to go to Vegas for a narcolepsy conference. She's a hoot. I guess she loves me...I spent 300 bucks for her. I just laughed the whole time tho...I just kept thinking, "I am buying tickets for a woman who has narcolepsy (the disease that makes you fall asleep instantly like the guy on Rat Race) to go to a conference with other people who have narcolepsy"....I would pay money just to watch that conference. Conferences put normal people to sleep. Let alone those who are already apt to do so. I feel bad for the speaker. He's got no hope in that atmosphere.

I found a new old folks home friend. Her name is Francis. She’s a cutie. She’s from Texas and if there is one thing better than a cute girl with a southern drawl it is an old woman with Texas drawl. She’s awesome.

I just about cry every time even think about leaving this place. Part of me is so comfortable and ready to leave but the other part of me, the larger part of me, just wants to be the exception to all things logical and stay in one area my whole mission. I guess we'll see with time.

I gave up some things this week. I decided to start a 40 day fast and refine myself and better qualify myself for this work. I have put 10 things on a list to either fast from or do better and really focus on for 40 days. Here are a few...

-Music....motab and talks from apostles only.
-Letters....I’m not opening them til Sunday night at 10 p.m.....I can't do anything about them anyway til p-day so what's the point in distracting myself.
-Better workouts everyday...I’m getting fat.
-Patience with myself and others. (It’s just a must in life)
-Eating habits....I have sworn off soda for...get this...for life. No more carbonated caffeine for me. It’s just a luxury and good and all but I feel as if it is setting me back from who I want to be. I don’t want to be enslaved to it anymore. I am 4 days sober by the way. 

It's been really good so far. I feel so much better as I set these small goals to be who I really want to be. More focused. More dedicated. More consecrated.

Things I learned this week---
-Window seals are dirty and will stain your white shirt when climbing through them.
-Missionaries shoes are dirty and will stain your white shirt when hoisting them into open windows.
-Spray and Wash is a modern miracle.
-Having a companion who snores and plugging his nose while he sleeps can be fun.

This week I have been thinking about marketing schemes again. I don't have too many ridiculous things this week but I've thought of them in a new way. A successful business uses advertising. They use it as much as they possibly can. Watching any TV show you can see all sorts of product placement that is promoting a certain company or a certain ideal. I have thought about what products I am placing. What advertisement am I providing to the people I associate myself with? I have come to learn and realize that I am a product of Christ. I wear his name everywhere. All Christendom does in reality. When we take His name upon us we wear it all the time. Others associate us with Him. It's caused me to step back and wonder if I am promoting that good name more positively of tearing it down by my actions. Now for me this is the conclusion... Christianity is defined by the very way I act. Missionaries or our faith are defined by the way I conduct myself. Idahoans are measured by the way others measure me. It's the same for all of us. Whoever it is that we may represent...I invite everyone, myself included, to measure yourself. Are you placing the product you have well? Are you a worthwhile advertisement for that which you represent? If not...readjust and try again. Improvement is always possible. Progress is always our goal. The atonement of Jesus Christ is how we accomplish both. Whoever you are...be a good one!

I love ya'll,
Elder Excell

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Traci!
    I wondered and hoped that that would be the case. I'll expect something today then. What a nice "in" with your brother in law in Iowa...Also wanted to let you know...we are great friends with the Holden's...Troy and Melissa. I guess that Troy and your husband grew up together...small small world. Jensen and Austin (their son) are great friends and did ballroom together. He is now on a mission in Mexico City.

    Thanks again Traci!
    Wendi

    ReplyDelete