Monday, June 20, 2011

Fireflies, floods, and fast cars.

I feel as if i have so much to say in this email! It has been such a full week. Full of appointments. Full of the spirit. Full of opportunities. Full of fun. Just full, full, full! So we'll start at the beginning of last Monday night.

We were victorious in one thing monday night and that was that we locked ourselves out of our apartment! Man i seem to be good at that! I would love to say it was Elder Howard (who is in charge of the keys) but alas, we are a companionship! :) We only had to sit on the trunk of the car (quick editor's note...our car is a 2011 fusion not 2010 as the author has previously stated) for about an hour tho til we got the landlord to come smoke his pipe in front of our door with a spare key! Besides, if it wasn't for that, we wouldn't have got to catch the bunny in our yard. No pets though...so we let him get away!

Tuesday was an early morning to get up to ames for zone conference! I love this mission by the way! So unified and loving and just no back biting or gossip! I love it! Zone conference was great! We got to hear from our zone leaders about the doctrine of christ, which i have truly grown such a deep love and appreciateion for. We heard from the area doctor. He had a calculation for BMI on the projector screen and the dreadful moment came to calculate. I am overweight according to the numbers. Diet time for elder excell. I have goals for an ending weight as a missionary and i refuse to go home with the average additional 25 pounds! I WILL NOT DO IT! But to all those who are wondering (MOM), I am healthy! My thumb nail has even grown back. Sister Jergensen spoke to us about loving kindness. I hope to show more charity as a missionary and as a member of the church. Lunch was amazing thanks to the cooking of Uncle Steve and Braxton. The chicken was a hit as well as the burgers and hot dogs. Great lunch and everyone was very appreciative of my uncle! Haha! It was very cool to see them! I hope to see them more! I wondered how it would affect me but i can't say that it did really. Not in any negative way at least. I loved seeing them but once the moment was over, I was focused on what was at hand. I am trying really hard to do that now and for the rest of my life. I want to focus on the present with the past and future in mind but never outweighing what i have in front of me. President Jergensen spoke to us about the doctrine of chirst and it was great as well! I love that man and am so happy to be in this mission!

Wednesday we found a new investigator. He actually found us which is even better! He is golden! He came up to us in walmart said that he has been investigating the church with missionaries in Georgia for a year or more and was just waiting for a divorce to go through to be baptized. He actually set his own date to be baptized and is awesome! July 16th!

This week i am running out of time! The library is super busy so i will try to hurry here!

My thoughts this week have been focused on loving the lord! I have realized that i will never be able to do his work until i do so. I have read john 21 and drawn so much from it! I love it so much! When peter and the disciples have been without the savior and kinda moving on for the rest of their lives and go back to fishing he comes back to them! He says, "whoa what are you doing. Have you not learned." and an awesome example of charity he performs in cooking breakfast for them on the beach after they recognize him and dive off the ship to meet him again. He then asks peter three times, since peter loves the number three by this point, if he loves him. Peter replies yes all three times and then he states, "If ye love me feed my sheep." That is my calling in which i am so grateful for! I truly do love my savior more each day! I want that to grow for the rest of my life! I have realized this whole mission thing is not a 2 year assignment but one that i have taken upon me for the rest of my life. It is also one that i look forward to and am so happy that i have the chance to share the gospel. I have the great opportunity of doing nothing but that for two years. Perspective is everything! I love where i am and what i can become through this gospel!

Things i have learned this week!

-fireflies are awesome!!! i caught some and i love them! new fascination!
-sprint cars are loud enough to hear from miles away.
-rain can cause flooding.
-our mission mom is as concerned as my mom and has divised emergency prep packs for everyone. :)
-I am overweight. :( but only by a little and im doing better!
-Limpy makes great food. I already knew that but wanted to throw it in.
-Iowa is the prettiest place ever and has the best sunsets.
-Iowa can be hotter than brazil!

I love my family so much! I will continue to send pictures every two weeks! I love you! I'm getting the boot!

Love, Elder Excell

No comments:

Post a Comment