What a great week to be alive. What a great week to be a missionary. I am reminded constantly of how blessed I am to be here in the Iowa Des Moines Mission serving the Lord. What a blessing! This week has been a great week! I took the time this morning to write down some quick notes as to the highlights of the week so that I would not forget to mention anything!
Tuesday we had exchanges with the Elders in the Oskaloosa area. They are the zone leaders and it's so much fun to all get together every so often! We had a lot of success together and had some good memories. I can now say that I know how to catch bats after spending about an hour at night trying to help out a recent convert with a bat infestation. You take a dark colored long sock (missionary socks work great) and put rocks in very middle of the inside of the sock. Tie knots around the pebbles and make a noise that apparently throws off sonar and peaks the curiosity of the bats. When the bat flies right above you to see what it is you throw the sock in the air and the bat will latch on to it. When the bat is then drug to the ground because of the weight you proceed to kill them in the least brutal way possible. Shovels work well. It was a great night. I’m sure the neighbors thought we were crazy. Just picture four guys in white shirts and ties very popularly known as the Mormons at dusk throwing stuff in the air and
shaking rocks to make noise. Maybe we are a cult?! haha!
That day we also had the great opportunity to do something stupid but hey, you only live once, right? We did the bomb challenge. It is the second hottest hot sauce in the world and you have to put one drop on your tongue and not drink anything or puke for ten minutes. Wow. Great
idea, right? (Note: Habanera liquid is not mild) I completed the challenge tho and was rewarded the satisfaction of signing my name amongst a list of other idiots who have the title Elder.
Uncle Steve bought us a grill and some Iowa chops on Wednesday. Best day ever! I will carry that with me my whole mission! We are struggling with meat in moderation though, to say the least! :)
I made Excell Pizza for district meeting. It went super well - very thoroughly enjoyed.
It rained so hard this weekend! There were trees down in the roads and on houses. We spent some time cleaning up the town but it just poured. Hence the reason we were tracting a road in the country that literally just ended in what is now a lake. It is huge - like bigger than Rigby lake! about 4 times that! I’ll send pictures! It rains so much here!
This week I have been thinking about why I am here. What is it that I am really trying to accomplish and why. I have come to the conclusion that I am here to help stop moral decay in the world with the gospel. To save those being threatened by the temptations so devastatingly thrust at humanity. I see the way that god is viewed in society - the fact that people can't pray in public anymore. Compare that to the declaration of independence recognizing the providence from the "Almighty". This nation was founded on a belief and gratitude for Heavenly Father that has long since been lost. Marriage is a thing of the past. Anyone wanting to commit themselves to anything for more than a few years must be crazy. When not so long ago the word divorce
had no place in our society. Self control and self discipline has slipped. The way control is viewed these days in ridiculous to say the least. Take drugs and gambling for example. It's out of control. It is out of control as a whole because at the root of control, being self
control, there is no practice. This nation and this world has removed itself so far from God that many do not even know him or recognize his presence. The further we fall away from that central belief in God, the further we fall off the plane of moral standard. In my eyes it's
time to look back. Time to go back to the basics. It's not a complicated fix. It does not matter who we put into office or what laws are enacted. There is no law that can adequately replace moral standards. It starts with the individual. It starts with us. It starts with me. To quote more famous people, such as prophets and apostles: 2 Cor. 3:17 "and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." or Psalms 33:11-12 "The counsel of the Lord standeth for ever, the
thoughts of his heart to all generations. Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance." And finally, Philippians 4:8-9 "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which
ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you." We need to go back to basics. It starts with personal integrity and personal standards. It's time for all us individually and collectively to be a little better, to walk a little straighter and as Gordon B. Hinckley said, to stand a little taller. Now I am an optimist. No matter the social decay occurring around us, too late is not an option. I believe it can and will be better. It is my witness and my testimony that the way to do so is
through the gospel of Jesus Christ. The life map that the Creator gave us. It is through small and simple things that this great change can be brought to pass. Scripture study cannot be overlooked. Prayers can not be missed. And church attendance is absolutely necessary. In a world where standards fall lower every day, we must stand taller. I know it is possible through His gospel. I have seen it change lives. I have seen it in others and me personally! I love this gospel and by it I will live!
Things I have learned this week:
-Cookies steak seasoning...the best!
-I bought some pearl snap shirts, I love them. They are the best. The thrift store ladies said I will be looking "downtown"!
-Western cut suits, old man pants, and pearl snap shirts; I finally have found my style.
-"You can roll up a bowl of popcorn" -Elder Howard
-Bats can be caught
-I talk way too fast...thank you radio for that lesson.
I love you all so much! Keep writing to the same address.
8515 Douglas Ave. #19
Urbandale, IA 50322
They will always forward my mail! I'm so happy! And I hope you all are too! Can't wait to hear from you!
Elder Excell
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment