What a fast week. It went by so fast that I can't believe that it went by at all. Elder Smith thought it was pretty long tho so I guess it happened.
I guess it was last Tuesday that I wrote so I'll start there. Tuesday after emailing, we drove about 30 minutes down to a nonexistent town called Hiteman, Iowa. Population 7, probably. Anyway, we had an appointment there with a gal named Shelly who, I think, I wrote about awhile back. We had an amazing lesson with her and things went really well. She was the one coming out of a Narcotics anonymous class. Well...Tuesday she dropped us. Meaning she told us not to come back again. She found Jesus and didn't want or need us. Kind of a little depressing. I kinda am used to that happening. Elder Smith was a bit “deer in the headlights” at the statement. It was his first time getting dropped. But we made it through.
Wednesday, I talked to Brian who got baptized last week and we talked for about a half an hour. It was pretty awesome! He talked for about 15 minutes about how thankful he was to find the church and how he is already feeling a gigantic change in his life. He says he is still hanging out with kind of a rough crowd but that he has just changed. He isn't doing anything he would regret and he just feels happier all the way around. He is such a stud! I love that kid. He goes into boot camp in San Diego today and I am so happy for him. We are planning on writing back and forth a lot so I am super excited for that! Yesterday at church he gave a talk and helped bless the sacrament so he is rocking and rolling. I love the guy!
I also talked to Sis. Strunk, who is Brian's step grandma. She is so funny and awesome! Her husband is a navy captain. Pretty high up and important. He and our branch president, who is getting promoted to a 1 star general in the army, argue all the time about who is better. Pretty funny. But anyway, Sis Strunk is just hilarious. She has had quite the life. She was a drag car racer, the national baton twirling champion and a very successful business owner. She and Brother Strunk met about 7 years ago, i think online, and got married. Anyway, she's awesome. She's my grandma away from grandma here.
Thursday was district meeting and it was super awesome. We just had a very spiritual meeting and I also introduced everyone to the Shawn Johnson plunger flip. They loved it. It's spreading. After district meeting tho, we had exchanges with the Indianola elders. Good guys. We did some good work and then we played Clue and Mancala at night. Haha. We have Risk in our closet, but that takes a bit more time. Hence the reason we are having district p-day today. We are playing Risk and going vine-swinging. Wish my body well!
I have cleaned more carpets on my mission than any other time in my life! I swear that's everyone's favorite service. I am practically pro at not only the cleaning but repairing of machines. Another missionary responsibility...handyman. Thanks dad for the training there!
Yesterday, we visited one of my favorite families here in Knoxville. They are actually from Caldwell, Idaho but they moved here after a bit. Anyway, they aren't members of the church and really aren't particularly interested in joining but I love them. Yesterday we talked to Michael (the dad) for about an hour about his life. He is pretty amazing. He was in the army for 20 years and was in the Special Forces, one of the secret groups that is top notch that no one hears about. They don't wear dog tags and if they get captured...no one will know because they are that confidential. He is awesome! He has some sweet stories but none he can tell us. Now he is bed ridden practically due to injuries and has surgeries often but he is very cool. Life-long friendships!
I was given two suits this week by members. They love me, I guess. They come up to me and say they find this suit and know I will love it. Well heck ya! I got 2 brand new 3-piece suits. Baby blue and charcoal with green pin stripe.
We had 3 investigators in church Sunday! Awesome! We had 5 less actives come back Sunday. It was a great day.
Things I learned this week-
-New diet plan. King size breakfast, prince size lunch, and peasant size dinner with two dainty princess snacks. I guarantee you I’m rocking it right now.
-While helping an elderly woman clean carpets, first ensure that you have sufficient time to move the hoarder's stuff out of the way. Second, ensure you have sufficient time to move it back to the exact same spot as before.
-I love cooking. Love it! That's not new knowledge tho!
This week, I just want to bear my testimony that I know and I believe in Jesus Christ. I am consistently reminded by the spirit that He is everything. Without him there would be nothing. I have learned a great deal this week about justice and mercy through my studies. Justice gets you what you deserve and mercy gets you more than that. Because we become partners with Christ through covenants, he accepts our red numbers and we accept his black numbers. He fulfills our negatives, and by accepting Him, we become positive. He is our partner. I believe that Christ redeems all men from physical death, but only those repentant souls and those willing to be baptized with authority of God are saved by our Savior from spiritual death. I know the atonement is real because I know the fall of man through Adam and Eve was real. Both were necessary. I am so thankful for my Savior. With Him, I, and all of us, have hope in today and in the future. I love Him dearly. He is my Savior. He is my Redeemer from sin, sadness, and sorrow. Because of the loneliest walk he took, I will never walk lonely again. And that is the "good news".
I love you all so much! Words cannot express. Love is the forgetting of yourself and total submissiveness and respect for another. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for any of you.
Elder Excell
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment