Wednesday, April 18, 2012

And it comes to a close...

Oh man...what a bad week to have so many days to report on. We did so much this week it seems and I feel so bad if I leave anything out. This is practically my journal so I need to report it all. Sit down and get comfy folks...this one will be a doozy!

Alright so first things first...last p-day feels like forever ago but it was awesome. We once again played sports for way too long. We played ultimate frisbee, football, basketball, and kickball with the sisters. So it was exhausting. I don't know why every week we think it would be such a good idea to play so many sports but we do it every week and every week I walk away sorer than the week before! But i lost 5 pounds again in a day so it's nice! =)

This email may not be so chronological...It's all meshing together!

I guess in all honesty the last week was really good but there is not too many stand out points to report on. It's from about Saturday on that just feels so significant so maybe I'll jump to that point.

I do need to say real quick before I lose anyone's attention that I am being transferred to some unknown land and I am going to miss Waukee so badly! I have come to love this place so much and when saying goodbye to people this week, it's been hard. I have built some great friendships here. They all ask the same question tho..."when are you going to come back and see us?" I don't know. That's been a battle all in its own. Iowa I'm sure is not sacred ground to many people but to me it is and I want to treat it that way. I'm not sure how often I will visit because I want it to be special. We'll see but rest assured I will be back! I know it! I have way too many friends here to not return at some point!

Wednesday we had interviews with President Jergensen and it's always great to see him and his wife and spend time with them. He's such a busy man so to get 15 minutes of one on one time is pretty special around here. He thanked me for my work in Waukee and told me to anticipate the transfer. He said that I changed the culture of the Zone and put the once suffering zone back on track. That's always so good to hear from your leaders.

On Thursday I got a creeper call from an Idaho phone number. They said they were in front on my apartment and to come outside...Well I wasn't at the apartment. They said they'd meet us where we were at the stake center. I had no idea who it was and they would not tell me! Well a green mustang pulled up and out stepped my best friend Kenon and his dad! It was such a surprise! It was soooo good! We have not seen each other in 3 years since he left on his mission! It was so good to catch up for the quick 20 minutes we had!

Also on Thursday we watched Sammy Meier run her track meet events real quick in between appointments. That was fun to sit with Ben and Tina and watch. Saturday was a packed day! We had Tina's baptism which was phenomenal. It was not difficult to imagine them in the temple a year from now as they were both dressed in white. The program was filled with the spirit and it could not have been better! I am going to miss that family a lot. They said that they are going to see grandma in Brigham City, UT in August and they are now adjusting that vacation to be able to come to my homecoming talk. That would be so awesome! I love that family! We had lunch with the Bahr's Saturday! They have been awesome as well. We went to El Rodeo and it was great. Right before the baptism I got a call from President with the news that I have been released as a zone leader and being transferred to a new area. Needless to say I have not been lacking for food since that call. Everyone wants to feed you when you leave!

Saturday we had dinner with the Ray's and she cooks the best Mexican food ever. We had a great lesson with Margarita, the mom, and she committed to be baptized on the 12th of May. Granted I will not be here but I could not be happier. I will miss that family a lot as well. It's gonna be cool to watch the effects of the gospel there.

Saturday night was a massive storm with winds up to 70 mph. Trees just simply came out of the ground. Hello Tornado season!

Sunday I had the privilege of confirming Tina and I am so grateful I was able to do so. After church we had our study time and what not followed by our last meeting with the Meier's. Tears were shed. Let’s just be honest! Oh man....it kills me. I'm gonna miss them a lot. I also said goodbye to Lindsay, another really good friend of mine now. Miracles wrought by God really start great friendships.

Monday was the beginning of "heck week" as it has come to be known in the mission. The week of transfers drags out a bit when you have 10 days between p-days. But when you get transferred there is so much to do and so many people to say goodbye to that it flies by like nothing. I was on our last exchange of the transfer with Elder "Hagrid" Purcell and we had a great time. We drove quite a bit trying to contact some people. We had a lesson that night tho that touched me deep. We were meeting with a less active family and the daughter's boyfriend was over and he asked us to pray for his friends. That takes a lot of courage to ask two strangers to pray for your friends but I wanted to ask and see what to pray for. He proceeded to tell us about a death that just happened in the town. They were drinking and messing around and without getting too much into details one of them ran over the other on accident with a tractor. It's stories and moments like that, that can change how you view the world. My little soap box moment will be on that in a minute.

Yesterday was heavenly. We played golf with the Nielsen's at the Des Moines Golf and country club and it was soooo good! It didn't make me trunky but it sure made me happy! It was a little windy and it's the first time I've played in nearly 3 years so I was a bit rusty, but it was a beautiful course and I was golfing so nothing could really get better! I shot a 42 on the front 9 of the north course. Not too shabby all things considered. We then went and watched Owen and Zach play in their baseball games. Pretty fun! I will miss the Nielsen's a lot! We had dinner with the Hubbard's. I love them so much! I'm going to miss them as well!

In other news...We have finished 3 puzzles and glued them so they are now wall decorations. One is of some wolves on an asteroid in space that glows in the dark. I thought Brady might enjoy that! =)

Things I learned this week...
-I now know how to clip nails. I now have nails on all 10 fingers. For anyone who knows me...that's huge. I have clipped my nails for the first time in my life now. I can overcome anything. In similar fashion I have not drank carbonation in 7 months. =)

I'm positive that I have forgotten someone or something incredible that has happened this week but this will have to suffice. One quick farewell before I rant on a soap box. I am going to miss Elder Fenn a lot. I've really enjoyed serving with him. We'll be good friends forever.

This week I have contemplated on how the gospel is a "cure-all" for the world's negatives and infirmities. Think on it. Would we have problems such as increase crime rate, children born out of wedlock, war, climbing divorce rates, alcoholism, deaths from alcoholism, drug abuse, financial instability, and the list goes on. I guess I have ranted before on how evil the world has become and is becoming. I have never understood tho as I understood this week how that could all be done away with if we all lived the gospel of Jesus Christ. Back in the day a medicine man or doctor would roam the streets trying to sell his cure-all for all medicinal problems. I submit myself now as that same person. I do not wish to be boastful or arrogant but I do know with all my heart that there is a cure all for the world. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ, in its fullness, can change everything. Crime rates would decrease, families would be happier and whole, there would be less death and more life, drug and substance abuse would decrease meaning positives to everyone including those under the pressures of addiction, personal and national debt would be gone and productive living with excess as promised in the scriptures would be seen, and that list as well could go on. That gospel provides for an easier, less stressful life. It is perfect. There are no flaws. I do not suppose that I will not suffer from some of these infirmities that the world presents us with. I do not suppose so because I know that I am far from perfect. But what I do know outweighs that imperfection for I know where to turn to and where I can find the answers as to what I need to fix to be cured from those many things holding us bound. If I could only show the world the causes and effects of the Book of Mormon I suppose that would be of some assistance. I am an advocate and representative of Jesus Christ and forgive me for my ravings but I know and have a testimony of a better way to live. If you are reading this in doubt I invite you to "prove the Lord herewith." You try it. I will give you a 30 day, 60 day, or 90 day guarantee that if you strive and try to live the gospel, your life will be better than where you now find yourself. We need to get back to basics. The basics of the Gospel of Christ. We need to remember the sad lessons learned by those great civilizations who do no longer exist because they turned their cold shoulder on our Heavenly Father. There are simply two outcomes my friends, we wipe ourselves and/or our posterity off the planet, or we come closer to God. We are always moving and changing but we must start moving towards God because all that is good comes from Him. I know that this is true. I dare you to try it. Try the Lord. Prove Him. I know He will show you His way.

I love you all. I cannot express that enough. You're awesome. Stay sweet my friends.

Hugs and Kisses,
Elder Excell

No comments:

Post a Comment