What a fantastic week to be alive and kicking! I hope all of you had the opportunity to feel that power of general conference as I did. There is something though that was quite difficult for me to swallow. That was my last general conference as a set apart full time missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for a long long time. That's hard for me. It makes the semi-annual reflection time that conference is, even that much more unique. As a missionary I have learned to walk into conference with questions to be answered and indeed they always have been but my questions have always been about "how can I help this person?" or "what does this person need to understand their savior?" This time it was very different for me because along with those questions I found myself asking questions like, "When and where should I go to school?" "How quickly should I try to get married?"....That blows my mind. I hope you'll suffer my selfishness here for a second as I speak my mind therapeutically. I cannot believe that I am a soon-to-be dater again. As nice as that thought is, sometimes it causes some loss of sleep at times. The whole dating game is different now. It's not so much about just fun anymore. It's about fun and playing for keeps. It blows my mind that I could be married real soon. And beyond that to have little Excell's running around all over the place. Wow. I think it's hard for me to picture because I am still a missionary. I haven't felt like I've changed or progressed at all because I'm with people who are changing at the same rate as I am all the time. Maybe when I get home I will feel mature enough to make decisions like that! It still causes loss of sleep at times tho. Nightmares even. haha!
This last week has been great tho! We have tried to work very hard and continue the success and the escalator that we have going. We do have a baptism and possibly two this Easter weekend. Jeff Ray, the older brother of the Ray's baptized the week previous, will be baptized this Saturday. Also Tina Meier is waiting for her letter from the brethren with the ok to be baptized as well. They are both very excited and very anxious. Conference was big for both of them this week. They felt as all of us do and said that they felt like the talks were just for them. It's funny...I did not feel that this time. I did not feel as if every talk was directed to me although many were. But in every talk I could feel and think of someone that I know that could use that message! Conference is such an opportunity to feel the Savior's love. He manifests it in so many ways. Listening to prophets and apostles of the Lord is just one minute way he shows us His love. He is the ultimate example of how to show love, not just say it.
We found a new investigator this week named Babus. I just wish I had a picture of him for y'all. If you were to go to google and type in Flava Flav in the images section that would be a pretty accurate depiction. He's funny tho. The first thing he said to us in his Ebonics language was, "Yo brothers, I know you. You love Jesus. Me too!" He is actually looking for a church for him and his little girl so we'll see. He's coming to church this Sunday with us. The Waukee Ward is about to become multi-racial! =)
We also met with another guy named Adrian. He said he makes music and he likes to rap so we're gonna take some blank Cd's with us to his house this week and get some of his stuff. He said that he does it all but he mostly likes rap. We're gonna see if he'll make a song about us! haha! That would be epic.
I've been asked this week to sing at a special stake Easter fireside Sunday night in a quartet. We are singing possibly my favorite song ever. It's called "I Love The Lord". I'm singing with guys that are all nearly twice my age and I'm singing the bass part. It sounds real good! I'm really looking forward to it. I've now been able to play the piano and sing on my mission so it's been pretty neat!
This week I plan on reading the associated chapters in Talmage's "Jesus The Christ" every day. I think it's going to be very cool. I started yesterday by reading about Palm Sunday. I also plan to read, starting Easter Sunday, one section of Doctrine and Covenants per day until I go home. I will read section 138 the day before I fly home. You are all more than welcome to join me in that!
This next week, being the first week of the month, is the busy one. We are in Iowa City all day tomorrow for zone leader council. We have two district meetings to attend after that this week as well as a baptism on Saturday so it's going to fly by once again. I almost feel guilty writing home because I know I leave out so much information. I guess that's why I write such long letters in hopes that I have included all I need to.
Our zone is doing so awesome right now tho! For the first time all year we have baptismal dates in more than one area. Elder Fenn and I would love to take the credit for leading by example but we can't! We have some great district leaders who deserve a lot of credit and also some flat out good missionaries. I'm so thankful to have been in Waukee for this long and around some of these missionaries for so long as well! I've built some incredible friendships with so many people this last 10 months. They have this picture on facebook, or did when I left anyway, where you could see where all your friends are around the world and obviously most are around where you lived. Well I will now have three big spots in Idaho, Brazil, and now Iowa. I love these people. I will miss them the rest of my life. Who knows...maybe I'll go to med-school here! =)
Things I learned this week-
-Bachelorhood is the path of least resistance and not the way of the Lord.
-I am an incredible hair cutter/stylist.
-You can be active in the church and inactive in the gospel.
-Distance and death cannot separate families that are eternal. I'm closer to my family now than I have ever been.
I want to echo Elder Holland's remarks a little today. I actually studied this exact parable found in Matthew chapter 20 the very same day of Conference. I do not believe in coincidences. Rather, that was a nice divine signature to find. These are my conclusions from my studies. The Laborers in that vineyard I'm sure all worked very hard. They must have. Work was hard to find and when you did find a master willing to hire I do not doubt that you would work your hind off in hopes of acquiring more work from him in the days to come. Those who were hired later in the day I imagine felt a little behind and as if they had to do more to catch up with what the previously hired laborers had already accomplished but they should not have. For they were on the crew making salary for their diligence. But all of that seems somewhat superfluous and unimportant in the grand scheme of things. The bottom line is that they all worked diligently to find the work and after acquiring said work they worked diligently to fulfill the commands given them. My plea and prayer is that you will all remember however late you may feel, however many chances you feel like you've had and probably have felt like you should have taken but did not, no matter the onlookers, no matter the other laborers, when it comes to your immortality and eternal life, which might I add is His work, there is still time. Be assured that the master is waiting to hire. He is willing to pay evenly. And on a different note, we must quit being so self-centered. We must view the paycheck given as half full not half empty. At least we did not work the most and get less than those hired last. And a friendly reminder...those other laborers hired after we were...they are our brothers and sisters and there should be nothing but joy from us in their decision to be hired among the master's crew. We are truly all in this together but I ask the stinging question I asked myself during conference, "Are we really all in this together or is that just a far distant hope?" Zion waits as we answer that question truthfully. I testify that our Lord is full of second, third, and fourth chances even reaching into the infinities. Having been someone needing multiple chances, I am thankful. When those chances are taken they can and will produce a change of heart. I know that with all my now changed heart. I know that He loves us. He knows us. He wants from us our personal best and also what is best for us. He is the best boss to work for. There is none other in all reality. "...this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine..."
I love you! I hope you all remember this week what was done approximately 1979 years ago for you by Him. Take some time Thursday night to remember what He was doing then.
Seriously, I love you.
Hugs and Kisses,
Elder Excell
Monday, April 2, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment