Before I forget and before I come down from the emotional high I just felt from reading the baptismal update on the mission, I must inform you of some of the best news ever!! Kaytlin Meier, the older sister to Sammy, Maddie, and Riley; as well as daughter to Ben and Tina will be baptized this month!!! I love that family so much and had a chance to teach Kaytlin before I left! I'm so proud of her and happy! There is truly no better feeling than watching someone change for the better and come closer to Christ, whether you are there personally or from a distance! There is a feeling about watching someone make those decisions to follow Christ through baptism that just simply provokes the thought, "I am watching something very right and true right now." What a great calling I have!
I've had such a good 4 days since my last epistle! I had one of those very intricate and sacred experiences to watch an entire family come closer to their Savior and what a blessed experience it was! On Saturday I had the opportunity to watch the Lassen Family, whom I love very much, step down into the baptismal font and make sacred covenants with God that I know, and can testify, will be such a blessing to them in the years to come! I had the privilege to be a witness to those ordinances and as I watched every person be immersed in water and come out with a smile on their face I could not help but think of the purification that I was witnessing! It especially hit me as I watched Lauren, the 8 year old girl of the family, come out of the water. Tears swelled in my eyes and I knew then that what I was watching was divine and good! I am so happy for that family! On Sunday, they asked if I would confirm them all as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I was more than honored. It was very spiritually powerful to all who were in attendance! Tony, the father, also got up because it was fast and testimony meeting and bore a very powerful testimony of his conversion! I was very inspired by his words.
In other news, Elder Brown is my new companion and I could not imagine anyone that I would have wanted to be with more! He is a great kid and he comes from Logan, Utah. He has a lot of "greenie fire" and is ready to get down and get to work! I'm really grateful for his enthusiasm for the work. It really inspires me and helps me to remember what I was like my first transfer! Looking at him and knowing that I was just as innocent in regards to missionary work baffles me at times. But I know as well that I wished was more prepared than I was coming to the field. I'm so grateful for the growth that I have been able to witness in myself! I owe many people in Brazil, Iowa, and everyone in-between for that!
This week since our last Wednesday P-day we have seen quite a few people. I've been trying to introduce Elder Brown to the members as quickly as possible because I know how lonesome you can feel in a new area even with someone attached to your hip 24/7! I think he feels very welcome and comfortable here in Waverly. He really loves the people and I know that that is so important to the work!
I guess my role model got married this weekend! I've always looked up to this kid named Weston Hyde. For those of you who don't know, he's my uncle that is only 2 years older than me. Growing up we did everything together! We ate dirt and worms on the front porch, we slid down his big slide, we made forts, and played tag, and never thought we'd grow up! Well somehow we did! Somehow he's been home from his mission 33 months now and is married. I'm so happy from him. From nearly every person in the family I've heard repeatedly, "He's happier than I've ever seen him!" Thank you for that Kenzi! I love you both! Excited to see you!
One of the funnier moments in the week was actually just this morning when we were doing our companionship study and there was a tap on the door! We opened it up and I'm not sure who was more surprised, the guest or us but the Jehovah's Witnesses thought that they would pay us a visit. I think everyone was a bit taken aback and the conversation that followed started out somewhat rocky and awkward. Anyway I've grown a great respect for other religions. I can very much appreciate those who try to help others by sacrificing some of their time and talents regardless of their religious affiliations. I really did appreciate their visit and the little discussion we had! I hope they have as much success as God will grant them!
Best moment and accomplishment of the week! On Wednesday I became the proud owner of a new Rubik's cube. No, I was not born in the 80's but I've got a lot of enjoyment from it. I had one when I was younger. I don't exactly recall it's location now but I would not be surprised if it ended up in pieces after being thrown at a wall! I was so frustrated by that silly little cube in my younger years up until this Saturday where I have finally completed the puzzle! I'm working on my time and I am now down to 3 minutes and 55 seconds. Not near or close to any records by any means but I'm getting there! I feel so accomplished! Bucket list item; checked off!
Things I learned this week--
- U R Ui Li U Ri Ui L......that's the missing clue to my Rubik's cube follies. (U=Upper R=Right L=Left i=inverse)
-You can tell how long a missionary is out by how many mega pixels his camera has.
-You can tell how long a missionary has been out by when they graduated...2011!!! What!?!?
I had another great opportunity this week to learn more about a very common Bible story that I have heard many times. It just never clicks for me until I'm studying for someone else. I think that's an eternal principle in itself. We get things as soon as we have the motive of doing it for others. But that was not the lesson learned this week. I was studying the story of the prodigal son for a girl here. It came to life for me as a related it to her life. To give a little background on the story, we have a man and his two sons. These are not just servants but his sons just in the same way we are the literal offspring of our Heavenly Father. Both are given in what may be scripturally termed, "All that the Father hath." And each receives his own equal portion. From the story we know that one was reckless with all that was given him and was spent wastefully in a foreign country. How many times do we all do that!? We have been given so much by Father in Heaven and often it ends up squandered. Well when the sum that was given to the son has been completely spent, he finds himself destitute enough to eat from the very troughs of the pigs where he works. Talk about desperation. But when starved from what is so vital to us all, we would fill ourselves with whatever we could. But, often our efforts are in vain, for the very thing we put in to our bodies with the intent to fill us leaves us more unsatisfied than before. But just as we would, the prodigal son "comes to himself". There is a moment of realization that I believe is given by the Spirit of God and we know where we can "eat and not be hungry and drink and not thirst". In the example at hand the prodigal son is reminded of home, where his father's servants are now even eating better than he, who had at one point all the father had. I find it very interesting that this son follows the pattern of the Lord that we learn about in the book of Moses and plans what he will do spiritually before he goes and does it. He plans to go to his father and ask to be hired among the servants, for in his heart he feels totally unworthy to even be called a son! What a trick of the adversary! From perhaps a slightly less spiritual source, even "The Goofy Movie" teaches us very true eternal words, "I'll always be your son!" There is nothing so separating that can separate us from our Father in Heaven. My favorite part, and what I realized stronger than ever tho, is found in the 20th verse of the 15th chapter of Luke. As the son is still a great way off the Father feels he is close and even sees him. In even noticing the attempt being made to come closer, the father runs out to meet his son who was once lost! I testify that this teaches repentance. All of us have distanced ourselves so far from God because of our choices that we have made but when we come to ourselves and plan to go back home, I testify that the Father sees us even from "a great way off" and He comes to our rescue and then in a supreme expression of His love helps us back home. I have felt in my life the Father carrying me back home and I can testify that it happens as we make plans and fulfill plans to go back home to our own "land flowing with milk and honey". To our "promised land". To our dining room table where "we may eat and not hunger and drink and not thirst!"
I love this gospel so much! I feel so privileged to have learned of it so early in my mortal life. I love my Father in Heaven for that grand opportunity. I love you all as well! I miss your stinking guts!
Hugs and Kisses,
Elder Excell
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment